Sometimes I feel really dedicated to my health and center my day around great food choices, staying active, and drinking more water. Other times, I’m busy and it falls to the back burner. Wherever you stand, I have some tips for fitting healthy choices into your day with almost no effort (or cooking) involved.
- Fill a large glass with water before going to bed so that it’s ready for you first thing in the morning. If you stay in bed for a few minutes to wake up slowly and check your phone, you’ll have your water ready.
- Add ground flax to hummus, salsa, oatmeal, smoothies, salads, etc. for a boost of fiber, antioxidants, omega-3s, and vitamin B1. You won’t even know it’s in there. Find it in the refrigerated health food section of your grocery store. I like the Bob’s Red Mill brand.
- Add liquid echinacea drops to your smoothie, tea, or water for added immune support. The jury is still out in the modern science community about the effectiveness of echinacea in cold prevention but there is a rich history of folk use that touts its benefits for a variety of illnesses. It’s worth trying if you’re into that hocus-pocus (which admit that I am). Here’s what mine looks like.
- Use nutritional yeast (nooch) as an added source of flavor, vitamins, and nutrients. I use this brand! Nooch is packed with B-vitamins, fiber, selenium, folic acid, zinc, and protein. It has a slightly nutty and cheesy flavor that is great on top of salted popcorn, pasta, avocado, tomato soup, savory toast, or in a variety of sauces. I have been using it for about 3 years (well before going vegan) and I’ve always been a major fan of the flavor. The health benefits are just an added bonus for me.
- Add yerba mate to your morning routine. This tea-like drink is a powerhouse of nutrients and provides a clean buzz (aka coffee without the jitters or crash) to get you going. The list of vitamins and minerals provided in each serving is impressive so I encourage you to do a little research.
- Use your smart phone’s health app to encourage yourself to move more. I recieved a fitbit for christmas so I’ve been using that to get my booty out of the chair and get my steps in. I love that you can add friends and compete with them throughout the day or set goals for yourself.
- Keep a glass roller of an essential oil blend in your backpack or purse for a quick pick-me-up during the day. I keep one filled with jojoba oil and peppermint essential oil for headaches and one filled with jojoba and lavender essential oil for stress.
Focus on the things you’re doing right and whatever makes you feel good. Our bodies are all so different so what works for me might not work for you. I’d love to hear your quick tips for staying healthy throughout the day–let me know in the comments!