I’m currently streaming podcasts from my iPhone while getting my life in order [finances, editing work, and cleaning] after an utterly irresponsible hiatus from adulthood. I’ve spent the last month and a half gallivanting across Europe and exaggerating the subsequent jet lag upon my return; I’m officially ready to get back to my productive self.
With that being said, I have some podcast recommendations so that you can be entertained while doing the same with your life [or not, no judgements]. Podcasts are wonderful because they can be downloaded to avoid using data during work commutes or weekend trips and you can subscribe to your favorite podcasts to auto-download the new episodes. Enjoy!
- This podcast is important to watch in order because it follows a young millennial, Megan Tan, navigate the process of growing up and becoming a young professional. Each episode includes of clips of real-life conversations as she buys a new car, quits her day-job to becomes a full-time podcast creator, finds mentors, and deals with self-doubt. It’s really reassuring to listen to someone else humanize all of these stressful tasks.
Stuff You Should Know
- I find that this podcast tends to satisfy the same part of me that used to watch TLC specials about conjoined twins and part-tree-part-man individuals. It dives into topics such as old-school freakshows, radiation sickness, gene editing, and cannibalism.
- Sophia Amoruso really hit the nail on the head with this series. Each week, she interviews a girl boss who has created an inspiring life for herself and explores the steps that got her there. It is a motivating and does an excellent job of showcasing how much hard work goes into the highlight reels we see on social media. My favorite episodes include interviews with: Roya Rastegar (Director of Programming Los Angeles Film Festival), Sara Christensen (Angel Investor & Advisor), and Claire Wineland (Founder of Claire’s Place Foundation).
Call Your Girlfriend
- The closest thing to a chatty catch-up with your girlfriend, this series is great for a mindless car ride or alongside your morning coffee. It touches on interesting topics but maintains a lighthearted feel that’ll make you think and laugh in the same breath.
- Easily the most addictive of the bunch, Serial follows a peculiar murder-trial during season 1 and the story of U.S. Army hostage, Bowe Bergdahl, during the second season. I was completely enthralled and sadly binge-listened to the whole thing within a couple of days. It was fun while it lasted!
Happier with Gretchen Rubin
- An uplifting series that follows different psychological theories of making small improvements in your overall happiness and quality of life. The episodes are quick and the tips are unique and functional!
*FTC: This post is not sponsored by or affiliated with any of the podcasts mentioned. All opinions are my own.*